Saturday, August 17, 2013

Getting back into the swing of things

Got in a sweet 20 mile ride with Dena today!! For those of you who don't know, Dena is my bike... :)
Here is a pic of Dena
This is an old pic when I first got her. I've changed the pedals since then... :) Oh and yes I do name everything... lol  So, although I really enjoy riding I must admit that the only reason I'm riding so much this week ( I've rode 4 times) is because I've been nursing a knee injury. My first true love is running and I can't wait to get back to it next week, starting Monday. 

I must admit that I am a little nervous about Monday because I haven't run in over 2 weeks but I truly feel I'm doing the best thing for my training. One of the biggest mistakes any athlete can make is attempting to come back from an injury to soon and risk prolonging the injury. In my 13 years of running and over 25 years of playing sports at various levels I can honestly say I've only had one serious injury and that was a severe ankle sprain back in my basketball playing days at Mercer University. I remember being on crutches for 2 weeks before being able to get back on the court. It sucked but I did everything my trainers told me to do so I could get back to playing as quickly as possible. I've transferred that same attitude to my running life now. I have to do whatever it takes to be healthy and ready for my upcoming marathon training cycle. As one of my runner friends once told me " It's better to show up under trained and healthy then over trained and injured." 

Just like most runners I've had my nagging injuries over the years and I've learned that I must recover fully before attempting to compete again. Just in case you're wondering don't attempt to run a marathon when you know you have a bum calf... Been there done that!! Got the tech shirt to prove it... lol

So although I'm nervous I'm looking forward to getting back into the swing of things and pounding the pavement with my fellow runners. I may even run down on Bayshore with my running group The Blue Sharks. Any of you ever had anxiety about coming back from a running injury?? How did you deal with it?

Until next time peeps... this is TY signing off. As always allow the Universe to work in your favor and be blessed... 

To learn more about Isagenix and how to make your own health and wealth transformation please click on my website below.

No comments :

Post a Comment